Espanyol and Atletico Madrid have followed Barcelona in announcing they’re going to apply temporary pay cuts to their players as a results of the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic. Other Spanish first division clubs are expected to imitate within the coming days, with Real Valladolid the sole one thus far to possess announced that none of their staff are going to be subject to cuts. maxsbobet agen sbobet
Barcelona had been unable to succeed in an agreement with their players, despite their willingness to barter a discount . But the club will unilaterally apply legislation, referred to as an ERTE, which allows them to temporarily cut wages in exceptional circumstances. Atlético have also applied their wage cuts under this measure.
A statement issued by Barcelona on Thursday night said the cuts would “essentially reflect a discount within the working day and thus a proportionate reduction in salary” and would apply to “both sporting and non-sport staff”.
The city’s other club, Espanyol, announced they might apply cuts but said those would apply to sporting staff only: from the men’s and women’s first teams to the B team and therefore the two under-19 sides.
That was followed by an letter from Atlético’s majority shareholder and CEO, Miguel Ángel Gil Marín, during which he said they might be forced to hunt cuts for those members of staff who have had to prevent working or whose hours are reduced significantly, among the football and non-football staff. He insisted that the changes would be limited to the “strictly necessary so as for things to figure as they did before when the competition returns”. He insisted the measure had “a single objective[:] to ensure the survival of the club.”
According to the statement released by Espanyol, meanwhile, the players are advised and that they “understand and respect” the measure, aware of “how delicate things is”. they’re prepared, the club said, “to each an amicable agreement with the club without having to require more drastic measures”.
None of the clubs has released details of the extent of the cuts applied. Barcelona and Espanyol have announced that they’re going to put their facilities at the disposition of the health authorities because the coronavirus crisis begins to accelerate in Catalonia, while Atlético have said they’re going to raise money for the Red Cross .
Valencia’s owner, Peter Lim, has bought 50,000 FFP2 face masks and 300 thermometers which will tend to the Valencia regional government within the name of the club. La Liga meanwhile will stage a web charity concert on Saturday evening, during which quite 30 artists will perform, including Alejandro Sanz, Juanes, David Bisbal and José Mercé, each presented by a player from Spain’s first division, with the captains from every club included. The proceeds will go towards buying materials to help within the fight against Covid-19, which has claimed almost 5,000 lives in Spain.
More La Liga clubs expected to follow suit in coming days
Spanish top division staging online charity concert
Coronavirus – latest updates | See all our coronavirus coverage